Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:11:58 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-isp@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [off charter]   help with HP-UX 10.20, please

On Tuesday, 11 August 1998 at 19:01:13 -0700, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> 	forgive me for changing the subject on you in this email.
> 	i have just inherited a number of hp9000 with vxfs on
> 	all filesystems.
>
> 	can you point me to information on:
>
> 	--how do i back these up?   mount the vxfs logical volume
> 	  a second time using "-o snapon=..." (from memory) and
> 	  then backup up that second mount point using vxdump?

I don't know the HP, but I know a bit of vxfs.

You can use all the normal backup utilities (cpio, tar, dump) as
before, at least if you have dump.  vxdump differs from dump mainly in
details, such as maintaining file attributes.

If you want to use the snapshot facility, you need the following
steps:

1.  Create a snapshot volume, say, rootsnap.  It doesn't need to be
    very big, since it only stores the data which changes between the
    time of the snapshot and the time that the backup is finished.

2.  Mount the volume as a snapshot of another volume:

    # mount -F vxfs -o snapof=/dev/vol/rootdg/root,snapsize=50000 \
	  /dev/vol/rootdg/rootsnap  /backup/root

    /dev/vol/rootdg/root is the volume containing the root file
    system, /dev/vol/rootdg/rootsnap is the volume containing the snap
    of the root file system, and /backup/root is the mount point for
    the backup.

3.  Perform the backup:

    # vxdump f - /dev/vol/root/rootsnap | dd bs=128k > $TAPE

4.  Don't forget to umount the snapshot file system, otherwise it will
    overflow at some point.

> 	--how can i restore the vxfs filesystems?  the recovery cd
> 	  does not appear to contain vxrestore.

Strange.  What does it contain?  Again, of course, you can restore
from a tar backup, but you'll end up with default extent sizes and
file attributes.

> 	--how can i extend the root vxfs logical volume?  right now
> 	  ists 83MB and we like to leave more space for /.  seems
> 	  that i have to use extendfs when the / is unmounted.  but
> 	  if its unmounted, i'll have to be running off another / volume.
> 	  if i do that i have to create another vg for the / volume
> 	  that i want to extend.  creating that vg might damage the
> 	  the / volumethat i want to extend, no?

Painfully:

1.  Find space for one spare subdisk per plex.  vxprint (or volprint,
    depending on the release of Veritas) may not be your friend, but
    it will help you a little.

2.  Create the subdisks.  For example, assuming two plexes:

    # vxmake sd root-0-2 path=/dev/sdk/sc0d2s3 len=102400
    # vxmake sd root-1-2 path=/dev/sdk/sc1d2s3 len=102400

    This makes two subdisks, root-0-2 and root-1-2, length 102400
    sectors, on the specified slices.

3.  Add the subdisks to the plexes:

    # vxsd assoc root-0 root-0-2
    # vxsd assoc root-1 root-1-2

    This associates the subdisks with the assumed plexes root-0 and
    root-1.

4.  Check:

    # vxprint -ph root-0 root-1

    This should show the subdisks under the corresponding plexes,
    along with the other subdisks of the plexes.  It will also show
    the new total size of the plexes in sectors.   I'm assuming that
    this was 170000 sectors before, aand so it will now be 272400.
    You need this number for the next step.

5.  Tell the volume of its luck:

    # vxvol set len=272400 root

6.  Extend the underlying file system:

    # fsadm -b 272400 root
    # mkfs -F cvsf -m /dev/vol/rootdg/root

    This second line should show the correct size of the file system.

This is based on Veritas release 2.  In release 1, the names of the
commands are differeng (most vx<foo> were vol<foo>, vxvol was volume).
The man page volintro or vxintro will give you more confusing
information.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Greg