Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 08:56:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jdl@chrome.onramp.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, vak@cronyx.ru
Subject:   Re: wd0 detect fails

>> A user reported that the status was 0x52 for the old code (0x02 = IDX).
>> The spec says 0x50 :-).
>>
>> We could ignore some bits, perhaps all except 0x51, but the old code
>> essentially ignored all except 0x50 (and BUSY).  Why did it fail exactly?

>With minor cable finagling here, I can easily, :-(, construct a failing
>probe case.  Would you like to go a few rounds with me on this one?
>I was getting the CDROM detect failure when trying to put the CDROM
>as the only device of the wdc1 controller.  (The wdc0 had either 1 or 2
>drives on it.)

>Is this the failure mode you were interested in?

It's not very surprising that it fails with no drives.  I would expect
both wdprobe() and the diagnostics command to succeed unless the timeout
is too short (it is too short - should be 31000 ms).  But it wouldn't
be surprising for the diagnostics commands to report that both drives
aren't their - something different from an IDE drive is there.  Then
wdprobe() would fail, so wdattach() wouldn't be called, so atapi_
attach() wouldn't be called, although atapi_attach() might work if
it was called.

Bruce