Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2012 21:52:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook update: HorizSync and VertRefresh

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> The X11 configuration chapter of the Handbook has some very old
>> information which is confusing users.  Manually setting HorizSync and
>> VertRefresh has been mostly useless for many years, and should be
>> deemphasized.
>>
>> This patch does that.  Instead of saying the sync frequencies must
>> always be entered, it adds some information about autodetection and
>> points out that almost all monitors support it.  Also added is a note
>> not to guess about sync frequencies.  On the CRT monitors where it
>> matters, it can matter a lot.  Some of those monitors might still be
>> functional.
>
> One does hear the occasional tale of a CRT which exploded when the wrong
> frequencies were configured ... it might be worth mentioning that guessing
> values could lead to hardware damage.

It's such a rare situation that I'm hesitant to mention it.  This might
be better:

   Most monitors support sync frequency autodetection, making
   manual entry of these values unnecessary.  For the few
   monitors that do not support autodetection, avoid potential
   damage by only entering values provided by the manufacturer.