Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2019 18:24:52 -0500
From:      Mitchell Horne <mhorne@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>, Ruslan Bukin <ruslan.bukin@cl.cam.ac.uk>,  RISC-V SW Dev <sw-dev@groups.riscv.org>, freebsd-riscv <freebsd-riscv@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GCC 8.x or 9.x for FreeBSD rv64imafdc ??

Forwarding my response from earlier as I didn't include all of the original
mailing lists. See below.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 8:54 AM Mitchell Horne <mhorne@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 3:57 AM Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

> >      I will cross post this as there are very few options left.
> > rv64imafdc folks :
> >
> > I will send this out to the only people and places that are likely to
> > not simply be a black hole from which nothing ever returns.  However
> > most of my messages do just die on the mail lists with no reply from
> > anyone ever and that is very true for the gcc maillists for anything
> > RISC-V related. I wish I knew why.
> >
> > I am able to checkout and cross compile FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT r354873
> > however there is no compiler. I looked. The output destination rootfs
> > shows no signs of LLVM/Clang and certainly not gcc of any flavor.
> >
> > I do see wonderful things like :
> >

> > https://github.com/freebsd-riscv/riscv-gcc/commit/be9abee2aaa919ad8530336569d17b5a60049717
> >

> > However nothing actually usable by any user out here in the more or less
> > real world that is not inside SiFive or similar.
> >
> > So is there any place at all that one may attain a compiler or am I left
> > to decipher the horrific mess that is known as the Canadian cross
> > compiler bootstrap which has never worked for me.
> >

> As of r354660, clang is built as part of buildworld. If you are using
> r354873 then
> you should have it as /usr/bin/clang, perhaps you just need to regenerate your
> rootfs.
>
> Cheers,
> Mitchell

And to expand on this a little more:

We have only recently imported the LLVM 9 sources into HEAD, and even more
recently enabled the RISC-V backend by default. So we now build a native
version of clang when compiling a FreeBSD/RISC-V userland, although It is
still largely untested. This should serve well enough for your
purposes, or at least
allow you to compile gcc natively.

Going forward, our focus will be mostly on improving support for the LLVM
toolchain. The native gcc toolchain instructions on the wiki are
fragile, and will
likely be removed once clang is a little more tested and settled for this
platform. When we begin supporting FreeBSD's ports framwork on RISC-V it
should also serve to make life easier for end-users (e.g. you could simply
pkg install gcc9).

Hope this helps,
Mitchell