Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 13:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PnP driver question

Need a little help understanding how to write a PnP aware device driver.

Suppose I have a PnP card that I want to do a self-test on before
claiming that it's been officially detected. Since the attach() routine
in struct pnp_device returns NULL, then this has to be done in the
probe routine, right?

In order to talk to the card to do the self-test, I have to set
the PnP params and enable the card during the probe routine...

My question is.. is this safe? Is this this right way to proceed?

I'm wondering because in Luigi's paper "PnP support in FreeBSD",
the example has a very simple probe routine (which just compares the
unqiue identifiers), while the attach routine does all the initialization
work.

Thanks,
-Archie