Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 22:29:04 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A MMAP observation

> > Of course, if somebody would make ODBC clients for FreeBSD so I could let
> > it talk to my NT SQL server, then I wouldn't have to mess with this at
> > all. :)
>
> I think ``ODBC'' is another mis-nomer from the halls of Microsoft.

Actually, no.  In this case you're absolutely off the mark.  ODBC
actually is an open standard that is not at all M$ specific.  All of the
major DB vendors now support it, and there are now products on the
market that allow you to transfer data from one propriatary DB to
another.

Remember that none of the big DB's ran on M$ OS until NT, as almost
*all* Fortune-500 companies used Big-Iron mainframes for their
databases.

Nate

ps. ODBC is a super-set of SQL, which all of the databases speak.