Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:22:51 -0600
From:      Don Read <sysop@calcasieu.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: generating barcode, and general barcode issues

back on 06:33 PM 3/29/99 -0600, you said:
>This isn't exactly a FreeBSD question, but I intend to use FreeBSD for
>this application. And this is the best group of people I know to ask.
>
>Looking for suggestions on how to generate barcode output. Think
>Postscript can be assumed. But understand there are many different
>barcode formats and haven't found a reference describing why one would
>be better than another.

Way back when, I wrote some inventory apps that generated barcode labels
and used a hand-held reader to track shipments.

The main symbols to consider are:

UPC/EAN - fixed format, difficult to produce
2of5    - numeric only, no check digit, easy to produce
Code39  - most flexible (IMO), A-Z1-9, check digit, easy to produce.

Just about any reader will handle all of these symbols.

for more info:
<http://ie.www.ecn.purdue.edu/~tanchoco/ADC/BarCodes/bc.toc.html>;

As for generating the labels, you can install a font cartridge for HP
printers,
also many fonts availible for the Windows boxes (free and otherwise):
<http://www.zebex.com/free.htm>;

And last resort is write a program to print em, not difficult but rather
tedious to get the spacing that "scans well".

>If it helps, the smallest item I plan to be tracking with this barcode
>system is a 4mm DDS tape. If possible I'll use the "small label end"
>where the write protect notch also exists. This way tapes could be
>inventoried while stacked on the shelf. That is if the reader can scan
>thru the plastic box. If not, we'll put stickers on the box too.

Yes, a contact reader is going to have problems reading thru the plastic,
a laser scanner might fare a little better.

Also consider that the height of the barcode is a redundancy factor, should
a line get damaged you might have scanable portion above or below the midline.
the edge of a 4mm cartridge doesn't give a lot of margin for this.

>Any advice as to guns/wands for reading barcode? Some have an async
>serial interface, some plug in between the keyboard and computer.
>Expect my choice of barcode format will largely be driven by the
>selection of barcode reader.

Not really, most will read a number of formats.

If your tape stack is in reach of the machine and you don't have any other
needs a keyboard "wedge" would do fine; but I suspect you'll find other
uses and a hand-held gun would serve you better (at a higher cost, of course).

Symbol Technologies, Pericon (SP?), ...

My prefered choice (back in those days) was a programable hand-held laser
from Hand-Held Products in North Carolina, not sure if they are in business
any more ...

Regards,
--
Don Read                               sysop@calcasieu.com