Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:22:30 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 at 10:55:41 +0300, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> > The average Linux user is as un/misinformed about Unix as the
> > average Windows user is about DOS.  They think XFree86 is a Linux
> > program.  They think GNOME is a Linux program.  They think SAMBA
> > is a Linux program.  They think xmms (formerlly x11amp) is a Linux
> > program.  Etc...
>
> That IS a good answer! Thx!
>
> > Sure..someone could start http://www.freebsdapps.com, but what
> > would that accomplish?  You'd have the same software, and you
> > would only be furthering the myth that "Linux software" is only
> > for Linux, and "FreeBSD software" is only for FreeBSD.
>
> Well, but this way, people will *still* believe of those apps that
> they're Linux-only! :-(

As you were told before, they only need to look at
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ .  Honestly, how hard is that?  Besides,
if they're not smart enough to figure out the stuff isn't Linux only,
maybe those users should be sticking with Linux?

> > You're right, I'll switch my servers over to Linux right away.
> >
> > P.s. There's Linux wallpaper?
>
> Now, THAT is malicious!! The Linux penguin is all over, in all
> sizes, and the *BSD community isn't able to spread their own daemon!
> This IS a shame!

Look, if you're not happy with what's available, make some yourself
instead of bitching and expecting other people to do it.  You were
shown where to find images, but they're still not good enough..
bitching and moaning about it isn't solving anything or making other
images that don't exist magically appear.  It's only going to end up
getting on everyone's nerves (especially people who *do* contribute),
and get you a bunch hostile responses.

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -