Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:35:08 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jack@sage-one.net>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Public IP Address Redirect to 2nd Server

At 11:02 AM 4.22.2002 -0500, Nick Rogness wrote:
>On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>
>> I'm running FBSD 4.5-release....
>>
>> The PROBLEM is that I need SSL too that serves up the online order
>> pages for the other sites on the main server, but after weeks of tries
>> (and cries) I just can't get frontpage to run with Apache+ssl (from
>> ports) and I'm just not smart enough technically to make it work (and
>> I live down here at the end of the road in So. Texas with very little
>> tch help around).
>
>	Install Apache+mod_ssl, then add mod_frontpage from the ports.

Tried that (several times) and have it on the server #2, but FrontPage will
not let me login to publish. If I could do that, I wouldn't need a second
server at all.

>	You need the netmask on the alias to be 255.255.255.255 if the
>	alias IP and the main IP are on the same subnet.
>

>> REQUEST FOR HELP
>> Would appreciate y'all taking a look at the info below and see if it looks
>> like I did it right.
>>
>> RC.CONF
>> ifconfig_rl1="inet XX.XX.XXX.137 netmask 255.255.255.248"
>> ifconfig_rl1_alias0="inet XX.XX.XXX.138 netmask 255.255.255.248"
>						  ^
>	Should have a netmask of 255.255.255.255

You are right and I corrected to that netmask last night....

The second server shows it is listening on both port 80 and 443, but
packets not getting through yet from first server. Browser winds up loading
the default site on first server instead of the second server. Can reach
the second server web pages on http and https through the LAN which says
that server is set up okay. It's listening on right ports but not hearing
anything.

Thus, the blockage must still be on the first server that is trying to
redirect the public address to the server #2. Any other thoughts why
packets are not hetting through. Firewall is okay with right ports opened.
Ports 80 and 443 are open, but everything is diverted to port 8668 on natd
anyway. Is there possibly some other thing I should do on the server #2 to
get it to see/hear the packets....????

Thanks very much....

>Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
> - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin