Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 14:19:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@rpi.edu>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop CDROM not recognized by Sysinstall.

> I have a Dell Latitude CPx H500 with a slight problem.  The machine boots
> fine off the 3.4-R CD, but the kernel doesn't find it during probe, and of
> course this presents problems for sysinstall.  I'd install off the
> network, but the xe0 driver isn't in the generic kernel, and I can't move
> to 4.0-* since xe0 is currently broken.  Anyone have this model of laptop
> and been able to get FreeBSD to recognize the CDROM drive?  My old
> Latitude CPi R400 worked fine, and from what I can tell, this machine is
> almost identical excepting processor, video, and sound.
>
> 4.0-R seems to find the CDROM drive okay.  Any ideas?

just another data point.  i had exactly the same problems with a dell
inspiron 3800 and freebsd 3.4.  (coincidently enough i was also trying 3.4
because 4.0 doesn't support my Xircom ethernet card)  I eventually gave up
and went back to 4.0, which installed from cdrom fine.  still witing for
ethernet though ;-(

-garrett

| rooneg@rpi.edu                                        garrett rooney |
| http://www.rpi.edu/~rooneg                                 unix geek |
|  unrequited love is neat because it lasts so much longer - w. t. c.  |