Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:33:37 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        Ken Moore <ken@ixsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lumina and env variables

> Now for the lumina side of things.
> 1. Lumina is completely Qt5-based, so the Lumina theme engine is
> *only* used for theming Qt5-base applications. This means that KDE4
> applications will not use it (Qt4), Firefox/Chromium will not use it
> (GTK2/3), but the Falkon browser *will* use it (Qt5), and many of the
> KDE/Plasma5 applications will also use it (Qt5).
>
> 2. Instead of going for the one-size-fits-all approach to themes that
> most engines use, the Lumina theme engine is a fork/update of qt5ct
> which is designed around the concept of a single theme engine being
> itself configurable. For example, I mentioned the QtCurve engine
> previously and it follows the "engine=look" model where if you don't
> like it you have to find another engine. qt5ct and lthemeengine take
> the approach that we stick to a single toolkit, but expose all of the
> configuration options via the engine itself - so a single engine can
> have an infinite number of appearance outputs. The only thing the
> engine needs to stay in-sync with is the toolkit it is allowing access
> to modify.

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for this comprehensive introduction to theme engines. How
does this approach "Lumina theme engine is a fork/update of qt5ct which
is designed around the concept of a single theme engine being itself
configurable" translates to configuration files? When I change a theme
in Lumina Theme Engine does it update only files in
.config/lumina-desktop or also in some other folders related to other
theme engines?

And crucially for my problem, why Lumina Theme Engine behaves
differently when it's run from the menu and from the Desktop
Configuration tool? I guess it's something to do with environment
variables being set differently in those two cases?

Thanks
GrzegorzJ