Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 00:59:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        lynch@bsd.unix.sh (Pat Lynch)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), alanpat214@earthlink.net (Alan Burnett), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new to BSD

Pat Lynch wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
> > At 09:00 AM 2/9/2000 , Pat Lynch wrote:
> > >Terry,
> > >         what kind of "culturally neutral" logo does this refer to, not
> > >knowing much about business apsects of things, but sort of like a "FreeBSD
> > >Certified" stamp?
> >
> > I'm not sure, but my guess is that he means something without the daemon.
> > You can't sell ANYTHING with such a label -- even hot sauce! -- in Islamic
> > countries. In fact, for those countries you're pretty much limited to
> > geometric patterns and letters.
>
> that works for me, thats why I asked.

I didn't get Pat's question in my mailbox.

That's precidely the reason.  There are entire departments in IBM
whose sole job is to ensure world-wide inoffensiveness.  Not a bad
idea, considering their results.

The ideal logo would be something that could be silk-screened on
a brown cardboard box, and could be reduced and not lose clarity.

e.g. a small inverse box with text:

	,---------.
	| FreeBSD |
	| Ready!@ |
	`---------'

With the "@" being the little trademark symbol, but that's just me
doing graphic design in ASCII art.

There would need to be a definition of terms and conditions of use
that was acceptable (e.g. filing of unofficial self-certification
that there were drivers for all hardware components in FreeBSD on
the FreeBSD web site or something like that) plus all the legal
mumbo-jumbo to keep everyone happy with rights to the mark, etc.,
in terms of paperwork as a result of the filing, etc. (or something
like that).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---