Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 07:39:06 +0000
From:      Bob Pekarske <pekarske_bob@burr-brown.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pekarske_bob@u2.bbrown.com
Subject:   scsi tape errors

I have FreeBSD on an Intel system with an Exabyte SCSI tape.

When I try to tar to the tape, I get the following messages:

/kernel: st0(aic:4:0): timed out
/kernal: st0: bad request, must be between 512 and 1024
/kernel: aic: invalid reselect (idbit=0x10)
/kernel: aic at line 2326: identify failed

There is some tape action prior to failure. On boot, the device seems
to be identified/probed o.k.

If I do a second tar, the system reboots.

Will someone please help me understand these messages? Or direct me to
reference documents?

Thank you for any help