Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:54:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

>o	Can be made to run with effort
>
>	This is the "publicity" tool, where anything that can be made
>	to run, painfully, or as a result of a downloading install
>	stuff from some other unknown place gets "branded".

I don't like this as a brand.

There has been the idea that any of these brands could go on a shrink wrap
product. I don't think "half works" of "half broke" should go on anything
with the name FreeBSD.

FreeBSD goes out of it's way to dissuade people from running -current
unless they are developers. Stuff that requires "painful" work is in the
realm of developer's level of skill.

We should approach neither vendors nor potential customers with
developmental software.

Catchya Later, 	| UWMechanical Engineering
Jason Wells 	| http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/