Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:10:57 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, current@FreeBSD.org, jhb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent kernel hangs on HP DL145 servers

--==_Exmh_1163527857_53581P

> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:38:16 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
> > Robert Watson wrote this message on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 13:53 +0000:
> >> I updated two boxes to recent kernels from a kernel around October 7 or so,
> >> and they now both hang on boot if I have a Neterion 10gbps ethernet card in
> >> the PCIe slot. Since I don't have the driver loaded at boot, it seems more
> >> likely it's a kernel bug.  Both identical machines now have the following
> >> vpd warning during boot, which wasn't present previously, but may be
> >> unrelated:
> >
> > It's very likely you are plagued w/ non-standard PCI cards...
> >
> > I assume you mean Nov 7th?  If so, there was fix committed for more normal
> > bad VPD data (v1.321 of sys/dev/pci/pci.c)...
> >
> > There is still an outstanding bug of a device that doesn't even properly
> > handle VPD accesses and it hang waiting for a bit to clear...  I need to
> > inspect the patch closer before committing..
>
> What I mean specifically is that the kernel dated October 7 works fine, and
> any more recent kernel hangs solidly if I boot it.  Obviously, this is
> somewhat inconvenient. :-)
>
> The device in question is a PCI-X Neterion 10gbps card.  The output from the
> kernel when the device driver is loaded is:
>
> Copyright(c) 2002-2005 Neterion Inc.
> xge0: <Neterion XframeII 10GbE Adapter, Revision 2, Driver v2.0.0.6765> mem
> 0xd8300000-0xd8307fff,0xd8400000-0xd84fffff,0xd8308000-0xd83087ff irq 25 at
> device 1.0 on pci129
> xge0: Device is on 64 bit PCIX(M1) 133MHz bus
>
> If there's more information I can provide I'm happy to do so, just let me know
> what's needed.
>
> Is there a way I can disable vpd support at boot-time in some form -- i.e.,
> via a tunable?  It would be very useful if these machines worked.

The patch Ian Dowse submitted for this (which jmg is evaluating) has
fixed the problem for at least two cases, my ancient Dell P3 and a newer
ASUS A8V. It was posted back on 8 Nov.

It simply adds a timeout for getting VPD info and lets the system
proceed.

Note that the last hunk is has been committed by jmg, so you only need
the first two hunks.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)