Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:25:00 +0100
From:      Thiemo Nordenholz <nz@thiemo.net>
To:        "Floris 'Tamama' van Gog" <floris@vangog.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: slow startup of programs

Hi Floris,

> I recently installed FreeBSD on an axpci33 Alpha (166Mhz) and it has..
> 'issues' :-) Every program I run takes 4 seconds to start.. even 'clear'.
> This doesnt sound right.. 'halt' on the other hand executes immediately.

Please check the mailing list archive, I've asked the same question about a
week ago...

The solution was to update rtld(1), actually
/usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/alpha/reloc.c to version 1.10.2.3 and rebuild
rtld. (Hint from Andrew Gallatin, fix from Doug Rabson)

I went through this and it solved the problem immediately.

Cheers,
  Thiemo

--
Thiemo Nordenholz          <nz@thiemo.net>              http://www.thiemo.net
"Computers are great at wasting time that would be otherwise be difficult to