Date:      	Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:08:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Broza <wwolf@mail.bc.rogers.wave.ca>
To:        Chuck <Crff@alltel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Chuck wrote

> I mean REAL new, as in brand new, still in the box and shrink wrap new.
> Actually, I've grown tired of using the "Worlds Most Complex Computer Virus"
> for
> an OS, otherwise known as Win95, and decided to take the FreeBSD path about
> a week ago. So far I've managed to download the minimum files to do the
> install from
> DOS, make the boot disk, and gather what reference material I've been able
> to dig up
> on the net. I'd like to buy a reference manual before I TRY my first
> install, but haven't
> found anything to get excited about yet.  Any suggestions anyone??
>
> Regards,
>
> Chuck

 Welcome to the world of FreeBSD, I'm also a  new person to the world of
Unix, so far 2 months, have also used microsquishy 95 aka Windoze95
for several years. decided to to make the jump to a UNIX OS, first RedHat
Linux v5.0 (Hurricane) then to Slackware Linux 3.4 and finally to FreeBSD
2.2.5

there is alot you can do with FreeBSD.. for one developing programs,
running ircd (Internet Relay Chat Daemon) put up a web server, Mud Server
ftp site the list can go on and on.. most of the software available is
released under GNU so it free, as long as you installed the developer
packages. also currently serveral game company have made thier source code
available to UNIX users. ( ie doom, quake, rumor tho descent )

the world is now open and the fences are down.. have fun

Richard Broza aka WhiteWolf
SorceryNet IRC
IRCop of kechara.sorcery.net port #9000
whitewolf@sorcery.net / wwolf@rogers.wave.ca