Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:50:03 -0500
From:      "Zane C. B-H." <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange case of vanishing disk

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:20:13 +0100
Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/04/2012 04:42 AM, Zane C. B-H. wrote:
> > On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 02:06:57 +0100
> > Kaya Saman<kayasaman@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I've just tried this and lost my whole system.....
>
> My boot disk is not labeled to work with ahci as it just has
> standard formatting on there.
>
> Need to remove the ahci_load="YES" from /boot/loader.conf file now.

Ack, my apologies. Forgot about that.

Yeah, you will need to do it from the loader prompt if you want to
test it.

Unless you are booting off of gmirror or have /etc/fstab configured
with something else that will automatically be found, you will have a
problem.

But from the loader prompt it should be...

load /boot/kernel/ahci.kp
show rootdev

If rootdev shows any thing other than shows boot device as ad,
rewrite it as ada, using the set command. See loader(8).

This will get it to boot, although it will error and drop to single
user mode as /etc/fstab contains the old stuff. Just manually mount
everything and continue.

At this point it should be up and running and able to test it out.