Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:25:35 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Mike Price <bipolor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I permanently set the numerical ip in dmesg?

Mike Price wrote:
> How do I permanently set the numerical ip in dmesg?

Hmm, I'm not sure what you are asking, *exactly*, because
dmesg(8) simply prints the collected messages given by the OS
kernel beginning with the most recent boot-up.

However, and I think maybe I'm correct in this guess, if
you are asking how to make the system remember the IP address
for an interface "across a reboot", try adding a line like
this to the file /etc/rc.conf:

	ifconfig_xl0="192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

     where "xl0" is the name of the interface.  You can
read the manpage for ifconfig(8) ("man ifconfig") and
possible the manpage for rc.conf(5) for more information.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
Many hands make light work.