Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:45:00 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Curtis Hart <chart333@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing Sendmail server's IP address, nightmare!

On 2006-02-25 19:35, Curtis Hart <chart333@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any specific information on making IP address changes
> to Sendmail servers since I have found that this situation is a lot
> more difficult/tedious than I had thought.  The Sendmail server in
> question is also providing DNS for a web server, but I would like to
> use our new ISP's DNS info for our web domains and for the mail
> server.  In a nutshell, I recently started working for a small
> business that has a mail server and web server, this occurred just
> after they had already begun switching to a new ISP (Mpower).  I
> thought I knew enough UNIX/sys admin info to make this happen but this
> has turned into a minor nightmare for me, since Sendmail has so many
> files that may contain the old IP info.

Not necessarily.  The Sendmail configuration in all the systems I use
doesn't have hardcoded IP addresses _anywhere_.

Sendmail can rely and usually *does* rely heavily on DNS for providing
information about the IP addresses.  The default FreeBSD setup uses the
file /etc/mail/local-host-names as a list of hostnames or domain names
for which delivery will be done 'locally', but that's pretty much all of
it.

Can you provide more information about the particular email & DNS setup?

If yes, then after you give us all the details of the setup you
currently have, what you are trying to achieve, whaty you have tried so
far and what has failed (including any interesting logs, configuration
files, etc.) we will certainly be able to give you more substantial, to
the point and correct help :)

- Giorgos