Date:      Wed, 4 May 2011 23:42:36 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Daily backups of pkgdb failure

--eRtJSFbw+EEWtPj3

Doug,

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 07:37:48PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>On 05/04/2011 16:25, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
>> Move PKG_DBDIR out of ports(7) and/or duplicate it to
>> /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk.
>
>A) That's a non-starter
>B) Doesn't actually solve the problem at hand

Considering the PKG_DBDIR doesn't require ports being installed I fail to=
=20
see why duplicating it to a location that's system-wide would be a problem.=
=20
If that is a problem then maybe a global environment file should be put=20
into place that will export that variable directly to user-land for=20
consumption.

FTP_PASSIVE_MODE is already set via login.conf. Would there be any harm in=
=20
exporting one more for PKG_DBDIR instead of having that in the Make files=
=20
at all ?

I think something a little more solid should become of this variable than=
=20
whats in place now.

--=20

 Regards, (jhell)