Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 17:33:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      kuma <kuma@mathlab.sunysb.edu>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> kuma wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > i have a question about booting FreeBSD.  I have two hard drives C and D,
> > i installed FreeBSD on D.  Everything went fine during installation.  But
> > when i tried to boot up D:, it will load up all the drivers and gave me a
> > message "panic:can not mount root".  I did set D: bootable tho
> > any help will be really appreciate?
> > Mark
> >
> >   |\_/| ..mew, mew
> >  ='O.O'=
> >   (m m)  -- kuma   http://www.mathlab.sunysb.edu/~kuma
> >   (M_M)~~
>
> Is your second drive the master on the secondary IDE channel by chance?
>
> If so, this has been asked and answered many times.
> To boot, use:
> 1:wd(2,a)/kernel
>
> at the Boot: prompt. Then one of the following two should work:
> 1. Have the following line in the kernel config file:
> config kernel root on wd2
>
> *or*
>
> 2. Coment out the wd1 line in the kernel config file, and change the wd2
> on its line to wd1 (don't touch anything else). Then replace all
> references to wd2 in /etc/fstab to refer to wd1.
>
> In both cases, after you build and install the new kernel, you should be
> able to boot with the default options.
>
> Nadav

Nadav:
help pliz, i tried the second method.
I commented the wd1 and switched wd2 to wd1 in kernel config. file
and i switch all the wd2 to wd1 in /etc/fstab.  In /etc/fstab, there are
wd2s1f, wd1a, wd2s1?, wd2s1?, and i switched all wd2 to wd1, is that
right?? or i only switch the wd1a one to wd2a??

I got this message after i change kernel config and fstab.
"can't stat /dev/wd1s1f: No such file or directory"

does that mean it can't find wd1s1f?? but i did switch the wd2s1f to
wd1s1f in /etc/fstab

Thanks for help!!!!!
Mark