Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:09:13 +0000
From:      "Nick Hilliard" <nick-fbsdstable@netability.ie>
To:        brad@brad-x.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PR handling..

> I'd also appreciate it if someone would take a quick glance at 31565 and
> 31566, as these are some pretty practical problems that need to be
> addressed (modern systems run into problems like this extremely often).

kern/31566 is basically the same problem as your previous problem
(kern/31166), and kern/25130 and is a more general case of kern/24392.

Basically the problem is that the error checking in the kernel linker is not
thorough enough.  In general cases, it means that it's possible to kldload
modules which have already been compiled into the kernel.  And in the case
where the module registers sysctls and you attempt a kldunload, a kernel
panic will ensue.

Anyone interested in getting lots of brownie points by closing 4 pr's at
once? :-)  My C is a bit too rusty at the moment to want to consider looking
at this wrt a fix.

On the subject of really annoying pr's which have been open for ages, who
could I poke about kern/25130, which is about the fact that vmware doesn't
work on SMP boxes since 4.3?

Nick