Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:16:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, olli@secnetix.de
Subject:   Re: SMP system hangs on current, not stable

In message: <200201021845.g02IjiL68980@lurza.secnetix.de>
            Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de> writes:
: This can also be done
: with PCI slots, if that board doesn't have an ISA slot
: anymore, but I don't know which pins (it's _not_ the first
: two pins), and it's a lot more difficult because the PCI
: pins are much smaller.

I don't think it is that simple.  The PCI bus has timing issues that
mean that shorting just two pins likely isn't going to work.  MS has a
design for generating SERR when you press a button, but it does a lot
of stuff to make sure that the signal is asserted at the right time.

I know that my simple experiments with doing this have ended in
failure...

Warner