Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 11:26:09 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot blocks for serial console ...

> >> Uhm, well there is, but it is called "tamper-proof hardware" and costs
> >> a fortune.
> >
> >It's not "tamper-proof", it's "tamper-resistant", and I can suggest a
> >wide range of "tampering" hardware that it won't stand up to for long.
>
> No, you bet it is tamper-PROOF.
>
> They will guarantee that you will not get access to anything in
> the computer.  Last perimeter will inject 220V (mains) through
> vital bits of the computer (including your flash disk) if broken.
>
> By the time you have gotten through the 10mm steel plate, the computer
> is dead.  And quite likely you as well, they have versions with
> poison-gas release and all sorts of nasties.
>
> Primary market:  ATM & Banking terminals.
>
> Smallest model and the closest they have to a portable in the
> catalog I have here weighs 450 kg (thats 900 pounds), sports 10mm
> steel casing (both the outher case and the CPU module case inside
> it) it comes with optional holes in the bottom so you can bolt it
> to a foundation.  It is also IP67 watertight and they will paint
> it in any color you like.  Price: $CALL.

I recommend you find and read a copy of the very excellent, if somewhat
dated, "Danger UXB" before being quite so certain.  And consider; you
still have to be able to open it for maintenance - if a direct physical
approach is inefficient, hack the supporting organisation.

I could also point out that I have a family background that covers
financial IT, and I've seen the aftermath of a number of ATM takeovers
both successful and otherwise.  I was old enough to be very interested
while my father was building a new datacentre (his third, and the
second for this company), and got some fairly interesting holiday work
in that organisation. 8)

Believe me; it doesn't matter how much Heath Robinson hardware you
attach to a device to "secure" it - people will still get in.