Date:      Tue, 6 May 2008 16:09:49 -0700
From:      "Murray Stokely" <murray@stokely.org>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where is a lightweight, simple word processor?

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> I have been looking for a simple word processor that supports formatted
>  text, different fonts and maybe bullet lists. And is close to WYSIWYG. I
>  don't care about format it can save or import as long as I can find an
>  intermediate tool to do my conversions. I don't need tables. But if it can
>  plug into another speller that would be nice but not required. Also images
>  not required, but okay. Support for multiple languages would be nice but
>  required right now. I will accept losing formatting attributes when
>  importing. Page breaks would be nice but not required.
>  Maybe some rich format editor can be stripped out of some email client or
>  HTML editor to be a standalone simple light word processor?

Google Docs meets the basic requirements you listed here, but I'm
guessing you intentionally excluded it for other reasons?  You can
import HTML files and plain text, Microsoft Word (.doc), Rich Text
(.rtf), OpenDocument Text (.odt), StarOffice (.sxw), Microsoft
PowerPoint (.ppt, .pps), Comma Separated Value (.csv), Microsoft Excel
(.xls) files, and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods).  Export to the
above formats or PDF.  Multiple people can edit the documents
simultaneously and chat about the changes in built in discussion pane,
etc.  Include dynamic variables from the web in your documents such as
stock prices and such, etc, etc..

           - Murray