Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2016 20:19:59 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@gmail.com>
To:        Koz Ross <koz.ross@retro-freedom.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone Black - what still needs to be done for audio?

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 9:28 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> if not,
> you'll need to learn to build the kernel yourself (or build the module
> and install and load it). Building the kernel requires learning how to
> cross compile on a faster host machine. Updating kernels on sd cards
> can be a pain (which you will be doing a lot of if you are testing
> driver changes), so you will want to be able to network boot.

Building the module should be fast enough on just the BBB.
Once you can get the module to load/unload cleanly, it=E2=80=99s pretty
straightforward.  I used this approach back when I was working
on the Beaglebone Ethernet driver.

In particular, using a module avoids the constant round-trip to
another machine to build a full kernel, rebooting on every change,
etc.

Pro tip:  Mount your work directory over NFS or use a remote
git server of some sort to track the module sources.  Otherwise,
it=E2=80=99s easy to lose all your work when you panic the kernel.  ;-)

Tim