Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:21:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Ellard <ellard@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        Cheen Liao <cheen@synology.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Transaction File System - a replacement of JFS

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Cheen Liao wrote:

> Recently there are discussions on JFS on FreeBSD. I think my company's
> development plan may meet the demands.
>
> My company is planning to build a Transactional File System (TFS) on
> FreeBSD, which has journaling (logging) capability and database capability.
> The basic idea is to build a file system on a database engine. When it is
> done, it should supersede JFS with its database functionality.

You should get in contact with Lex Stein (stein@eecs.harvard.edu) and
Mike Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu).  They have built a file system
on top of Berkeley DB, and it's completely transaction-oriented.  It's
open source and available to download now.  The basic idea sounds like
almost exactly what you're planning to do, except that it's based on
Berkeley DB instead of Postgres, and its interface is a user-level
NFSv3 server instead of VFS.  (I don't know whether they've thought
about the niftier features like snapshots/replication, beyond what is
already provided by BDB)

Even if you don't like exactly what they've done, and really want to
use VFS, I think you'll find it much easier to cram BDB into the
kernel than Postgres!  If you're determined to stick with Postgres,
however, you should check out Michael Olson's work on the "Inversion"
file system, which used Postgres as the basis for a file system that
did some of the things you are thinking about, circa 1993.  (But note
that following in Michael Olson's footsteps will also lead you back to
Berkeley DB...)

-Dan