Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:04:48 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing vdev name

Quoting David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org> (from Wed, 19 Sep 2018
15:16:16 +0100):

> Hello the list,
>
> I have a VM that uses ZFS with a pair of striped devices.  The first
> is a partition on the root disk, created by the installer.  When
> this was too small, I added another device (da1) and told the pool
> to expand to use it (no redundancy, because the underlying storage
> for the VM images provides that).  After a reboot, I can no longer
> boot the system. Booting from the install CD and attempting to
> import the pool, it correctly identifies da0p4 as one of the
> devices, but gives me a long number instead of da1.

This means ZFS doesn't see the other device (or more correctly no
device with the ZFS meta-data on the device which matches what the
pool wants to see as the second vdev).

Do you see the second disk from non-ZFS tools? Does the partition info
look OK there (if you partitioned it before giving it to ZFS)? Does
the geometry/size look correct?

> How do I fix this so that the pool again points to da1?

As a side note, it doesn't matter if it is da1 or something else (e.g.
/dev/gpt/<volid> or whatever), as long as it is a geom provider
instead of the uuid of the device like it seems to be the case right
now.

Bye,
Alexander.

--