Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 00:24:25 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Huizer <xaa@stack.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp and uid0

> What use is it to make ppp SUID root, if you put a check in it to make sure
> you are running it as UID 0? :-( Looks like irix this way.
> And it breaks my nice little ppp-login that will initiate pppconnection
> as non-root :-(

Ppp can be run in -direct mode as a user as long as that user is a
member of group network.  In any other mode, the user must be uid 0 -
it's too dangerous if they're not (you can do wonderful things if
you've got control over the routing table!).

To deal with your ppp-login requirement, check out the latest version
of the pppctl(8) man page (available on www.freebsd.org/~brian).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;