Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:35:31 -0600
From:      "Matthew Rezny" <mrezny@umr.edu>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   disks > 1TB

I just bought a 3ware 7810 controller and 8 160GB drives, which in
RAID5 yields 1.04TB (real TB). Having previously seen statements that
FFS limit is 64TB, I expected this to work. Unfortunately I found that
the number of sectors becomes an issue. Looking through the mailing
list history I see this has come up before and it will take a lot to
solve, more than the spare time I have this weekend. The quick solution
is make a 1TB filesystem and let the extra .04TB go to waste rather
than try to patch the whole system. However, there is a slight problem
with this, which is limits in the disklabel tool. The disklabel
structure which is stored on disk uses u_int32_t for the number of
sectors in the device. The disklabel tool uses int when interpretting
all numbers in the getasciilabel() function. This limits disklabel to
1TB devices. If the declaration on line 964 of disklabel.c is changed
from "int v" to "u_int32_t v" then this limit is lifted. This change is
safe since the actual value on disk is unsigned. Using unsigned in the
input allow disklabel to work with devices up to 2TB. This allows
creation of 1TB slices on devices >1TB so that at least part can be
used in the meantime while we wait for the limit to be lifted elsewhere
in the system.

Also, I've seen one mention of 4TB systems in the mailing list
archives. How was this done? Kernel patches, other trickery?