Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 1995 22:30:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Bynum <bynum@grep.cs.fsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fdisk /MBR didn't work

I now have a problem after messing around with my hard drive (trying to
get FreeBSD to read my DOS IDE drive when FreeBSD resides on my SCSI drive).
I messed up, I think, the drive info when doing an fdisk in FreeBSD and it
wouldn't boot to DOS from the hard drive (but the boot manager let me boot
into FreeBSD). However I can boot to DOS using a floppy disk. Next, I tried
to do a fdisk /mbr (in dos) to let me be able to boot to DOS. Now when the
computer boots up it says invalid disk or no system files (paraphrased) and
asks me to insert a disk I can boot from and press any key to continue. I
still can boot from a floppy into DOS however. The DOS system files
are still on the DOS disk (I checked).

My two questions are:

1) How do I get the computer to boot up into DOS again without a disk?

2) How do I get the boot manager installed once again so I can boot
into FreeBSD?

Please help as this is real annoying!

Thanks,

Mark Bynum