Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 17:36:56 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   New 2.0 system... Much improved install

Greetings
	I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to 2.0.  I must admit that I
was quite nervous at this prospect, given the amount of negative things
I had seen.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of the
install procedure.  I was able to get up and running with a minimum
of hassle.

The install procedure looks very nice, especially the disk partition
and label stuff.

I did notice a couple of things have likely been corrected since the
2.0 cdrom, but I thought I'd pass them along just in case they
are not known.

1) My ethernet card isn't at the standard place.  Since my old kernel
saw it, I didn't even think to look into chaning its IO, etc.  However,
the install did prompt me for a hostname an so forth, but it seemed to
throw this info away.  It would have been nice if I could say "oh, dang,
my ed0 interface is really and truly there, please pretend it is and
write the config file."

2) It would be nice to be able to install packages from the install progam
at the same time I'm installing the rest of the system.  It would
also be nice to be able to get the kernel source w/o having to get
the entire system source.  I don't have the disk space for the source
now that I've moved Linux and NT onto my 1G disk.  It would also be nice
to be able to pick and choose my X server, rather than having them all
installed (but maybe I did something wrong).  It would also be nice
to have the setup program convert the old Xconfig files that I had to new
ones, but since I had done a newfs, that doesn't seem to practical.

All in all this is *MUCH* improved over the 1.0R days, or even the 1.1.5R
install.  Looks a lot nicer.

Oh, there was one last thing, I had to keep booting off of my floppy
during the install since FreeBSD wasn't the "master" OS (first one
on the disk), otherwise I came up in NT.  It would be nice if there
was a warning for this, as it took me a little bit of fiddling to
get that right.  No biggie, but would make the install nicer.

Warner