Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:40:03 -0600
From:      jake-freebsd <jake-freebsd@bonch.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   install problems on Dell CPi with 3com 3c589d

I apologize in advance for any information I may have left out of this
e-mail.  I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE on a Dell Latitude
CPi, but encountering some issues.  This particular laptop has no
CDROM drive, only floppy, so I'm trying to do a net install with a
3Com 3c589d PCMCIA card (which appears to be supported hardware in
4.10-RELEASE).  The only problem is this card is not recognized by the
install.  I have some experience using the BSDs (mostly OpenBSD), though
mostly on Sun gear.  PC stuff is still a gray area for me.  I've tried
disabling what I can in the BIOS to prevent IRQ conflicts, and in the
kernal config screen, no conflicts seem to appear.  I get an option
as soon as sysinstall starts to select the memory range pccard uses;
I've tried all options with no success.  I still can't select 'ethernet'
or something similar as a network interface.  Can anyone offer up any
help and/or advice, and/or links to docs that will help (I've looked
through freebsd-laptop)?

Also, is there a method in FreeBSD to get the dmesg exported to the
floppy drive somehow?  I of course want to include the dmesg in this
e-mail, but I'm a n00b so don't know exactly how ;)
In OpenBSD I could do:
'mount -d msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt && dmesg > /mnt/dmesg.txt'
anything similar in freebsd?

Again I greatly appreciate any help provided, and I'll try to get any
additional information requested.  Thanks

Jake