Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:16:27 +0300
From:      Dmitry Alyabyev <dimitry@al.org.ua>
To:        Adrian Gonzalez <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2100S RAID Performance

hi

AFAIK dd isn't good tool for that. Just use iozone - it's in port collection.

But in other hand I'd like to follow this question and ask people
which are using 2100S. I have 2100S with RAID1 of two Ultra2 disks
under FreeBSD and Mylex with RAID0+1 with several Ultra3 disks.
The results of iozone tests are terrible under FBSD in comparison
with Linux (please see the figures below - I'm talking about random
read/write). So I'd like to know WHAT IS THE BOTTLENECK - Ultra2 vs. Ultra3
OR Adaptec 2100S vs. Mylex OR FBSD io vs. Linux io (softupdate is set)

For FBSD:
        Record Size 4 KB
        File size set to 1048576 KB
        Time Resolution = 0.000004 seconds.
        Processor cache size set to 1024 Kbytes.
        Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
        File stride size set to 17 * record size.
        Throughput test with 3 processes
        Each process writes a 1048576 Kbyte file in 4 Kbyte records

        Children see throughput for  3 initial writers  =   20621.72 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for  3 initial writers   =   20134.93 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =    6596.70 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =    7042.41 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =    6873.91 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        =  983196.00 KB

        Children see throughput for  3 rewriters        =    3043.30 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for  3 rewriters         =    3043.25 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =    1006.05 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =    1019.20 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =    1014.43 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        = 1035048.00 KB

        Children see throughput for 3 random readers    =     964.08 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for 3 random readers     =     964.07 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =     321.22 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =     321.44 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =     321.36 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        = 1047860.00 KB

        Children see throughput for 3 random writers    =     440.61 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for 3 random writers     =     438.70 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =     146.49 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =     147.42 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =     146.87 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        = 1041952.00 KB

For Linux:
        Record Size 4 KB
        File size set to 1048576 KB
        Time Resolution = 0.000001 seconds.
        Processor cache size set to 1024 Kbytes.
        Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
        File stride size set to 17 * record size.
        Throughput test with 3 processes
        Each process writes a 1048576 Kbyte file in 4 Kbyte records

        Children see throughput for  3 initial writers  =   34334.45 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for  3 initial writers   =   20504.82 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =   10804.76 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =   12669.23 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =   11444.82 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        =  896260.00 KB

        Children see throughput for  3 rewriters        =   21032.06 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for  3 rewriters         =   14973.13 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =    7010.16 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =    7011.58 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =    7010.69 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        = 1048576.00 KB

        Children see throughput for 3 random readers    =    1637.39 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for 3 random readers     =    1637.35 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =     528.07 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =     560.51 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =     545.80 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        =  987920.00 KB

        Children see throughput for 3 random writers    =    5057.66 KB/sec
        Parent sees throughput for 3 random writers     =    3441.19 KB/sec
        Min throughput per process                      =    1613.77 KB/sec
        Max throughput per process                      =    1754.04 KB/sec
        Avg throughput per process                      =    1685.89 KB/sec
        Min xfer                                        =  964792.00 KB

--
Dimitry