Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:53:12 -0800
From:      Mark Day <mday@apple.com>
To:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>, ppc@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HFS/HFS Plus driver and tools for 5.x are available

On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 03:48  AM, Yar Tikhiy wrote:

> BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but a new signature (HFS has it at
> the first two bytes of its volume header) and a change to the
> function for comparing two Unicode keys (so it will compare them
> respecting case) is all that is needed to make a case-sensitive
> variant of HFS.  Of course, the utilities (fsck_hfs in particular)
> should be changed, too.

You'll also want to change the code that deals with the name cache.
For case insensitivity, it does some wacky things.  If I remember
right, it actually stores in the name cache all of the case variants
you actually passed into the kernel.  That is, if you did a lookup on
both "a" and "A", then both of those will be in the name cache,
referring to the same file.  When you move or rename, I think it ends
up invalidating every entry for the directory, instead of the single
name.

You could get by with the current behavior, but you can get better
performance if you made the name caching code work like UFS and the
rest.

-Mark