Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:55:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        synk@swcp.com (Brendan Conoboy)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world clobbers (was Re: some nice advice...)

> > > Er, don't you upgrade from source when there's a security problem in
> > > userland but no new binary distribution?  I do.
> >
> > Good grief, no!  *IF* the bug is in a service that you are using,
> > you update the source, build and test the new service on an off-line
> > workstation or server, and when you're certain the changes are
> > reliable, move the new binaries to the target server.
>
> Oh, I see. We're having a semantical difficulty.  I would still call
> that upgrading from source.  I thought the original poster meant that
> one ought to to wait for 3.2-release to come out when there was a
> serious bug in 3.1, to essentially leave the source out of it.

The OS includes no useful applications - therefore you are correct when
you say that you should wait for 3.2-R to come out.

Any server application, be it sendmail, named, ntpd, apache, squid, etc etc
etc., needs to be compiled fresh from the vendor.  Maintaining this as a
secure service is a completely different issue.  FreeBSD is highly nonoptimal
for this sort of thing, as it comes with everything thrown into /usr/local
or whereever the hell else the porter felt it should go.

As part of the security paranoia around here, subsystems get top-level mount
points (generally on separate disks) so that the service and the server are
effectively divorced at the filesystem level.  This allows either to be
upgraded with a minimum of fuss.  For example, Web servers around here are
all rooted in /www.  The server is /www/sbin/httpd, the configs are in
/www/conf, etc.  Same for ftp, squid, etc.  The idea is that you are
creating a platform on which to run a service:  make the platform as secure
and as low-maintenance as possible.

... Joe