Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 11:11:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a speech synthesizer for FreeBSD 2.0.5?

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Donald Burr wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5 and was wondering if there's a package or
> port out there that can synthesize speech and output it through the
> soundcard?  I.e. if I feed the program a file name or text on standard
> input, it will speak it.  The voice doesn't have to be English-like at
> all -- in fact, for my purposes, a computer/robot-like voice would
> really sound cool.  So, does anyone know of a program that can do
> this?  I didn't really see anything on my CDROM that looked promising.
> I have programs for Linux, but suspect that the sound drivers (even
> though they're both written by the same person) are probably vastly
> incompatible, and porting it would be a nightmare.

As several people have already mentioned, rsynth is in the ports
collection.  As it turns out, porting Linux audio programs to FreeBSD is
trivial, since, as you mentioned, they were both written by the same
person.  Basically you have to change the "#include <linux/soundcard.h>" to
"#include <sys/soundcard.h>" and the rest should compile in 99% of the cases.
Of course if you have an old Amiga computer lying around, it had speech
synthesis software built right into the ROM which can be handy for
embedded applications (boot off of floppy drive, etc)...  But that's
another story. :-)

---Jake