Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:13:40 -0500
From:      "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@mcs.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Programming/FreeBSD and what not

I have finally found what amounts to be a 'proxy aware' identd program.
 Unfortunately this app was written for Linux.  It compiled fine on my
FreeBSD box.

Everyone says 'where are the users, why dont we have more'.  Well, I am
not a programmer.  I took a Korn Shell programming class way back when
in college.  I really do not want to be a programmer.  I dont mind
scripting and I have no problem reading doc after doc to get something
to work.  Just please, dont make me program!

Anyway, this app is at
ftp://ftp.compsoc.net/pub/users/steve/midentd/midentd-proxy-0.22.tar.gz.
  As I said earlier, it compiled fine.  However when I plug it into
inetd.conf and I have an internal machine try to send ident info I get
this on the BSD box:

 in.midentd[336]: Can't open /proc/net/tcp : No such file or directory

I have been told that the proc structure is very different between
FreeBSD and Linux and this app would not be an easy port.

First off, what is the 'proc structure'?  What makes an app such as
this more or less difficult over another to port?  Secondly, anyone up
for the challenge?  I really could use something like this.

Thanks, as usual, for your help!!!

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM -  tforrest@mcs.net
http://www.mcs.net/~tforrest
And now, its time, for some useless, bandwidth wasting words of wisdom:
Get OS/2 WARP - the best Windows tip around!

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 5762 A3CC 8EA5 8542  9666 222B 61A9 2558

** Tag(s) inserted by Bandit Tagger98 - http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c918704