Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 1997 09:50:52 -0700
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@rush.aero.org>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@senate.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious problems with iijppp demand dial

>> >[.....]
>> >
>> >You're saying that you want a route of "0.0.0.0/24", ie, anything
>> >beginning with 0.0.0......
>> >
>> >Try "add 0 0 192.215.247.250".
>>
>>       Tried that.  No change.  Any other ideas?
>
>If "his address" is not the same with every connection, do a
>PPP ON yourhost> add 0 0 HISADDR
>
>note: yes, type HISADDR. It is replaced with his addr by ppp.

I forgot to mention that I have a 'ppp.linkup' file with this in
it.  The contents are:

delete ALL
add 0 0 HISADDR

This is giving me fits.  Note that as nearly as I can tell, the 'add'
command in the ppp.conf file is only there to provide a temporary
gateway route in order to cause outgoing packets to be routed to the
tun0 device, so that iijppp wakes up in the first place and establishes
the connection.  Again, as nearly as I can tell, the 'add' command in
'ppp.linkup' is the one that creates the route that actually gets used.
And, according to 'netstat -rn', this route DOES get created.  The daemon
IS doing everything (as far as I can see) correctly to set up the full
connection, it's just that no packets get passed once this is done.

GAAAAHHHH!  Do routes have associated netmasks?  Can 'netstat' be
convinced to show them?  What else could POSSIBLY be wrong?

The thing that really gets me is that, at least according to 'netstat -rn',
the routes created by 'automatic dialing' (which works just fine)
and demand dialing (which doesn't) are IDENTICAL.  If there are
any differences in the routing table, 'netstat -rn' doesn't show them.

Mike O'Brien