Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 2015 00:42:00 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pkg and firefox

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:05:31 -0500, Brian Wood wrote:
> I've had some trouble recently where when I try to use
> pkg to install something it reports a problem by launching
> firefox, I think.  And that kills my existing firefox process.
> Has anyone else experienced anything like that?  It seems
> to me the firefox integration is something new and not
> helpful.  This is on PC-BSD 10.1.  Thanks in advance.

Just a guess:

PC-BSD is using some HTML-based "reporting" mechanism
to show pkg process results (in your case, presenting
an error message). As PC-BSD is "desktop-oriented", this
happens through a web browser. Maybe they are simply
assuming Firefox to be present, and then use it to
show the message, or they use what the environment
variable $BROWSER points to.

Maybe you can set or change $BROWSER to point to a
different browser?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany