Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:15:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        daved@nostrum.com
Cc:        freebsd@guldan.demon.nl, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, erik@pentadon.com
Subject:   Re: (Retry) Bridging a wi-device with a LAN-adapter

In message: <131F69C1-A1AE-11D6-9CAF-0003930B3DA4@nostrum.com>
            David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com> writes:
: I have been playing with bridging with wi driver (in hostap mode)
: the last few days and have seen some interesting behavior.  For one,
: performance falls through the floor.  This seem related to
: promiscuous mode and maybe associated with hostap mode.  Performance
: of ng_bridge and BRIDGE came out the same.  On ng_bridge, I turned
: off promiscuous mode on the wi interface and things still worked.
: Performance also went back up to pre bridging levels.  I have no
: idea why and haven't had time to play more.

I was at a party tonight with Todd Miller, who lives in the area and
did a lot of the OpenBSD hostap work.  He tells me that if you are in
promiscuous mode, that hostap performance falls to heck (1Mbps), but
if you take it out of promiscuous mode performance returns.  One of
the changes in OpenBSD that I have on my to look at list is related to
this.

Warner