Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:24:34 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: side note on the X220 running CURRENT: head phone jack works

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there have been some people here - including me - wondering whether the head phone jack works. Yes, it does.
>
> I just have had the chance to connect the head phone jack. It works when vlc is set to use /dev/dsp1.0.
>
> Using /dev/dsp0.1 brings sound to the built-in speakers.

The "proper" fix is to add the following to /boot/loader.conf:
# Out : speaker + headphones
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid25.config="as=1 seq=15"
# In : mic + external mic
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid35.config="as=2"
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid27.config="as=2 seq=15"

This will make the mic work for headsets that have a mic and will make
the headphones DTRT so that audio is sent to the headphones and the
speakers are muted when headphones are plugged in.
NOTE: This works on the T520, but the X220 seems to be very similar in
most every way I have seen.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com