Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2016 13:18:16 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpn@neutralgood.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newer clang than comes with install?

--Apple-Mail=_C57AA55E-84F5-472D-8BDA-37E407D1FB1A

On 04 Mar 2016, at 15:53, Kevin P. Neal <kpn@neutralgood.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 02:22:26PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:45:05AM -0500, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
>>> I notice on 10.2 we're using "FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1". But there are
>>> bugs in this version of clang that I'm having trouble with.
>>>
>>> Is compiling a newer (say, 3.7.1) version of clang to target FreeBSD
>>> supported? I have no desire to replace any of the libraries, just the
>>> compiler itself. Is that supposed to work _without_ going through the
>>> ports/pkgs system?
>>>
>>> IOW, can I just download from llvm.org the clang+llvm source, compile
>>> it on FreeBSD, and then use it safely?
>>
>> It should.  The ports don't include many patches.
>
> Yeah, I was just looking at the patches we do include. One of them it looks
> like causes some of the llvm.org-provided includes to not be installed.
>
> I'm not sure I can, well, not install them because I also need to use the
> same install to do cross compiles. A quick check shows that those includes
> are used when targetting cross and native.
>
> Am I correct about the include files?

I am not entirely sure what you mean, but if you mean that we don't
install a number of internal clang headers which conflict with FreeBSD
system headers, then yes.

> And, if so, are there plans to
> upstream patches so the llvm.org includes will work out of the box for
> FreeBSD-hosted-and-targetted compiles?

It is on my TODO list, but not very much near the top.  The first thing
is to get the 3.8.0 release imported now.

-Dimitry