Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:47:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on audio strategy needed

[ freebsd-questions removed from Cc: (better, Jordan?)  :-) ]

On 26-Jun-97 Mark Tinguely wrote:

>>  Uh, I believe that he said that the onboard audio _could_not_ be
>>  disabled.
>>
>>  While I've never run into such a setup, I'm willing to believe that a
>>  "bottom feeder" MB manufacturer would leave out control of on-board
>>  devices, leaving you with only PnPray to enable/disable it.
>
>HP sells a Pentium computer that does not have jumpers or a BIOS option to
>disable the onboard Crystal soundcard. The machine was here so quickly
>that I did not see the manufacturer of the motherboard. According to
>the owner, he could not get the OSS driver to work with the card.

Yep, that's what I got -- an HP Pavilion 7160.  I've already called HP
about this, which was where I got the shocking news that the onboard
audio could not be disabled.  I wanted to reach through the phone and
strangle someone.

I never could get OSS to work either, by the way.

Thinking seriously of just replacing the motherboard completely.  I'm
*really* tired of grappling with this problem.  Besides the above, the
BIOS setup utility really stinks, too.  Obviously a machine for clueless
Windoze users.  At the time, it was one of the earliest 166 MHz machines
out, and seemed like a good buy.

>People that buy these crap machines cannot afford to lose a IRQ. They
>already max-ed out the IRQs because of IDE drive, APATI drive, PS/2
>mouse and (usually internal) modem.

Yep, you're right on it.  I don't use the internal whatever-the-hell-it-is
modem, though.  Much prefer my external Sportster 33.6.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.  While not quite what I was hoping for
(like, some miraculous solution to this aggravating situation), the
feedback was enlightening, and much appreciated.

Guess it's time once again to whip out the plastic and dig myself even
deeper into debt. <sigh>  I never should have bought the damned AWE 64,
really.  When I was checking it out in the store, though, I saw nothing on
the box that indicated it was PnP.  Should have returned it at once.  Oh
well.  It does sound great under Windows (like, who cares?).  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/