Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:59:59 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree88-contrib install?

Could someone bring me up to speed on how XFree86-contrib gets installed?
I think it's available as a port but not a package. Is it also an option
when XFree is chosen during FreeBSD installation, or do most newbies get it
automatically?

I've made a fvwm2rc for absolute beginners, a single file that will give
them a friendly desktop to start with and to learn from. All instructions
are in the one file, including how to change the file's contents later on,
and a _brief_ summary of how to get that far, starting "1. Install
FreeBSD". Since what I've set up won't work without the contrib programs I
have to make sure new users know how to get them (even if I don't :-).

My contrib programs are installed (2.2.6-STABLE), but it doesn't
appear in /var/db/pkg, and somebody running 2.2.7-RELEASE has the man
pages for those programs, just no binaries. Neither of us know how it
got there, or didn't, or whether any of this changes for later
versions.

Sorry to pester you guys here but I need right answers, not guesses.
This has to work for FreeBSD 3.x which I don't have access to.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-