Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Durian <durian@boogie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BTX halted boot failure during 4.6 install

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Mike Durian wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:18:59 PDT, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> >
> >too bad, we have a LC2000r around here, just that its in use :(
> >
> >I've not had problems booting the FreeBSD CDs on other HP Netservers.
> >Have you rev'd the BIOS recently?
>
> I tried to rev the BIOS, but didn't have any luck.  The BIOS updates
> I downloaded didn't take - apparently they didn't match the hardware,
> so I must not have been in the right place.  If you have a link to
> the latest updates, I'd appreciate it.

See if you can track down a HP Navigator CD -- that usually has all the
updates you need on it.  It should update all the hardware in the system
that it knows about, including the management controller and the RAID
controllers if they're the rebadged HP NetRAIDs.

> The boot screens show I'm running:
> Management Controller Firmware: F.10.38
> Symbios: PCI-4.14.04
> v001.35 adaptec

hm.... adaptecs do have problems with disks that don't have DOS partition
tables on them.  Are your disks dangerously dedicated?

> >From the adaptec menu:
> Model: 2100S	Rev 3204 (or possibly 320H - my scratches are a bit messy)
> NVRAM Ver: DPT V1.0

For various reasons, these controllers are not recommended for use in
production environments.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org