Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:43:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Wilson <john_wilson100@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling FreeBSD kernel with Sun's cc

John Wilson writes:
 > Has anyone tried using Sun's optimizing cc compiler (for Solaris x86) to
 > compile the kernel to x86 assembly, assemble it with gas, and link with GNU
 > ld?
 >
 > It seems possible for a user-level application that is source-compatible
 > with Solaris (because cc will output assembly with system call names rather
 > than numbers, and gas/ld fill in the system-specific blanks), but compiling
 > the kernel seems more complicated.
 >
 > Is it very difficult to do / a stupid idea?
 >
 > John

It sounds like a reasonable idea, if the compiler is much better than
gcc and its syntax is reasonably compatable.  Is their compiler much
better than gcc?

On the alpha, Compaq's compiler is substantially better than gcc, so
I spent some time trying to get the FreeBSD/alpha kernel to compile
using Compaq's C compiler.  The main barrier is that gcc and ccc
have different inline asm syntax.  I spent most of an afternoon
translating our inline asms to ccc syntax, then got distracted and
never got back to it...

Drew