Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2023 06:40:21 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   totally OT: How to prevent Linux guest from clearing screen entering/leaving vim

I just installed a linux, aka linsucks, (debian) guest on my VM's
running onto top of bhyve it works relatively well.. note it is not
lack of Unix experience I have been using BSD since 42BSD... except
for a few annoyicients that for example the three that are most
annoying me are... note all three are the opposite of the default
behaviours in FreeBSD:

1) The terminal clears (thus ruining any possibility of scrolling back
to stuff I want to reference) when I enter and leave vi.... i.e.
command line stuff is not visible inside vim and vim is not visible
(with no amount of scrolling back) if I am in command line mode.. .
this makes fixing compiler errors ***VERY*** annoying since I have an
increased cognitive load from having to remember the line number and
the error... It also make cutting and pasting next to impossible

2) For some reason by default vim thinks that the most wheel action is
instructions to it instead of to the terminal (XFCE4 Terminal).   Thus
making it physically to impossible to scroll back without moving the
mouse to the scroll bars

3) I seem to be unable to get lockd to work right in client mode thus
get all kinds of errors when doing shared file operations