Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 15:58:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        nrepin@digiteyes.com.au (Nick Repin)
Cc:        robh@imdb.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jaz drive. How to ?

In a previous message, Nick Repin said:
> At 12:07 PM 8/01/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> >Has anyone written a step by step "how to" guide on preparing
> >a jaz drive + cartridge for use under FreeBSD ?

> >Can anyone point me at some information or help me out ?
> >

> After a bit of fiddling about I got one running with a FreeBSD file system
> on the cartridge. The whole thing behaves sensibly as removable media - i.e.
> cannot be ejected while the filesystem is mounted. Special Jaz features like
> password protecting/unprotecting are not supported.
>
> I neglected to record the steps cause I was learning about the system and
> not sure it was going to work at all but at least you know it is possible.
> If nobody else has a simple answer I can the cartridge back to FAT file
> system and go through the process again (hopefully).
>
> Regards,
> -Nick

This is how I create a new FS on my Syquest drive (I would imagine that
the Jaz could do the same thing, with its own disklabel):

new-syquest-disk:

	# This won't work if you're using /bin/csh:
	d=sd2
	disklabel -B -R -r $d /home/proot/bin/syquest-disklabel
	# We only want one partition, so using slice 'c' should be fine:
	newfs /dev/r${d}c
	tunefs -o space -m 3 /dev/r${d}c

syquest-disklabel:

# /dev/rsd2:
type: unknown
disk:
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 2
sectors/cylinder: 64
cylinders: 4096
sectors/unit: 262144
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:   262144        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 4095)

You can get your own disklabel from your current newfs'd Jaz drive. You'll
probably need to frob a few things like rpm and interleave.

Paul.

--
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
                                        --Grant R. Gainey